Monday, December 27, 2010

Here Dare It To Be

Good Evening Herr Goethe!

Good Evening Herr Goethe!
                I promised you that I would. And I did. All I can say: if Radirung meant that one used the eraser a lot, I have created a masterpiece. Radierung, Nachdenklicher Herr Goethe, by G.F.  As you can see, I only use my initials. Because Radierung means etching and there is no way I would put my whole name to the drawing I agonized over yesterday. Nor would I want to invite anybody to view my etchings. (This phrase is used in America, jokingly, when a young lad pulls a young lady into his private living quarters.) No, my attempt only goes into the cold, ruthless world via Internet where it can exist as a self-indulging pastime of an old lady who took your words to heart and made them her own motto for her endeavors.
Ich hoere schon des Dorfs Getuemmel,
Hier ist des Volkes wahrer Himmel,
Zufrieden jauchzet gross und klein,
Hier bin ich Mensch, hier darf ichs sein.
I know, this scene is about Easter when Faust takes a walk and says, what have by now become very famous lines. People use your lines for their own purposes; I thought I would do it too.
Hark! Sounds of village joy arise
Here is the people’s paradise,
Contented great and small shout joyfully:
Here I am Man; here dare it to be!
(though I would translate: here I am human, here dare I be)
                As expression of my humanness, besides drawing your face, I spent all day in my two rooms yesterday. My pedometer tells me that I took 321 steps. A new low, and compared to the 8,915 I took on Saturday, not even an embarrassment, just a fact. But today I ventured out again. I spent time at the Bauhaus Museum. I want to write about that tomorrow when I am less tired than tonight. For tonight I will show you a few photographs you won’t see used as postcards. I personally love the contrast between beautiful scenery and street art, or graffiti as these outbursts of nighttime creativity are called. I find some graffiti all over Weimar, but there are areas where much more color is used. Here are examples of both.
G.












No comments:

Post a Comment