Friday, December 31, 2010

Dichtung und Wahrheit (Fiction and Fact)

Good Morning Herr Goethe!

These are my last hours in Weimar. The apartment is cleaned up, suitcase packed. All back to neutral. I only have a few minutes before I lock the door and leave ..... what to say? I found a few words of yours on a wall somewhere in Weimar (your words are everywhere in this town) and would like to use them as my farewell for now. 

Das wirkliche Leben verliert oft dargestalt seinen Glanz,
dass man es manchmal mit dem Firnis der Fiktion wieder 
auffrischen muss.
                                                          Dichtung und Wahrheit
                                                        J.  W. v. Goethe


My translation: Real life often loses its luster and has to be refreshed with the varnish of fiction.

Here nature has taken over the job of refreshing life


No comments:

Post a Comment